Professional development courses for election officials
Election officials like you play a vital role in making democracy work, and like all professionals, you need professional development to grow and learn. Our courses help you advance while learning practical skills to provide greater service to your communities.
Would you like to learn about technologies to help you serve the public? Do you have a community engagement goal you want to reach? We can help.
What courses are available?
- Social Media for Voter Engagement
- Building a New Election Website
- Improving Your Election Website
- Accessible Communication for Election Offices
- Collecting, Analyzing, and Visualizing Election Data
- Messages to Motivate Voters
- Poll Worker Management Best Practices
- Cybersecurity for Election Officials (3-course series)
What will you get?
All of our courses include:
- A pre-training tech skills survey to ensure that our training matches your needs and skill level
- A customized curriculum including instruction, exercises, and hands-on practice
- Interactive breakout sessions to allow you to brainstorm ideas and experiment with new technologies
- A post-training skills survey to measure impact and demonstrate to your colleagues and supervisors what you learned from the course
- A copy of the training slide deck for you to use as a resource
- A detailed participant guide for you to reference and use once the training is over
Who are the instructors?
Whitney May first caught the election bug in 2007 at the Durham County Board of Elections, where she trained hundreds of poll workers. Later, working with a nonprofit in Washington, D.C., she refined her training skills to deliver engaging courses to government officials.
As an instructor, Whitney wants to advance your tech skills while connecting you with other curious election officials.
Kurt Sampsel enjoys introducing election administrators to new tools and then seeing them shape the voting experience. Kurt has 10 years of experience as a college instructor and communications specialist, and since 2015 he's been working to support election officials.
As an instructor, Kurt hopes to involve you in discussion to find the best way to overcome challenges.
What's it cost?
As a nonprofit, we strive to make professional development courses affordable for every election office, regardless of budget.
CUSTOMIZED IN-PERSON COURSES
We charge $2,500-$3,500 to travel to your office and provide 2 days of tailored training for as few as 1 person and as many as 50 people. Total costs depend on location, curriculum, and training hours. You can select courses that add up to 10-12 hours of training.
CUSTOMIZED ONLINE COURSES
We charge $500 to provide a customized, 90-minute course for as few as 1 person and as many as 10 participants online.
In addition to our customized courses, we periodically offer an online series of courses that bring election officials from around the world together at a low cost. To find out when these courses become available, make sure you sign up for our ELECTricity newsletter.
Can’t find what you’re looking for? Get in touch and let us know what kind of professional development you have in mind.
What have participants said?
"I believe the instructors were very knowledgeable. The hands-on training and feedback we received was great."
-- County Clerk/Registrar of Voters, Shasta County, CA
“I enjoyed all of the training but really liked the interactive parts and the great humor.”
-- Board of Elections, Harford County, MD
"We had excellent service and leadership to guide us. Our instructors were helpful, friendly, patient, and knowledgeable."
-- County Clerk, Laclede County, MO
Ready to learn?
We're ready to prepare a course to fit your needs. Click the link below to start the conversation.